Do I have to be a CSULB student to practice?
- No, all adults are welcome to join us, not just students!
How much are membership fees?
- The first semester is FREE and only $30/semester thereafter for students.
That seems like a lot; what do I get for it?
- Membership allows you to train with one of the oldest university karate clubs in the country with a direct lineage to Mr. Ohshima and Shotokan Karate of America (SKA). You also get access to all special practices unless otherwise stated. Lastly, our club dues provide a better value than many martial arts gyms you can find outside. Many places will charge you at least four times that amount PER month for what we’re giving you in an entire semester!
How long is a semester?
- 12-15 weeks
When are practices held?
- Please see the Training Schedule section.
Is a Gi (Uniform) necessary?
- Yes, a GI is required starting the second semester. The Gi is a mark of a martial artist’s dedication to himself and karate. A basic Gi can be found online for as little as $20.
Who is the instructor?
- Samir Abboud is our head instructor. Please read more in the Instructors section.
Do I require prior knowledge to join?
- Absolutely not! We begin from basics every semester for newcomers to learn and for more experienced practitioners to hone their skills.
Will there be a chance to move up in Belt Ranking?
- Yes! There is belt grading every Spring and Fall semester. Please see the Belt-Ranking System section to learn more.
Is there a way I can donate money to the club?
- Yes! We humbly accept any donation amount that will help pass on this art form to the next generation!
- Click to Donate