Do I have to be a CSULB student to practice?
- No, all adults are welcome to join us, not just students!
How much are membership fees?
- $50 per semester (spring/fall) for students
That seems like a lot, what do I get for it?
- Membership gives you the chance to train with one of the oldest clubs on campus with a direct lineage to Mr. Ohshima and Shotokan Karate of America (SKA). It includes access to all of Sam’s regular karate and self-defense classes. You also get access to all special practices unless otherwise stated. Lastly, our club dues provide a better value than many martial arts gyms you can find outside. Many places will charge you at least twice that much a month for what we’re giving you for a semester!
How do I sign-up?
- In person
How do I pay for my membership?
- In person
When are practices held?
- We have club practices most days depending on the season. Members might also hold unofficial practices that you’ll just have to ask around to find. You can ask at our Facebook Group page. And don’t forget that members get access to Sam’s regular classes at no additional cost! For club practice and class meeting times, please see the Training Schedule section.
Is a Gi (Uniform) necessary?
- First-timers are not required to wear Gis, but after the first semester, Gis are strongly recommended. The Gi is mark of a martial artist’s dedication to himself and karate.
Who is the instructor?
- Samir Abboud is our head instructor. Please read more in the Instructors section.
Do I require prior knowledge to join?
- Absolutely not! We begin from basics every semester for newcomers to learn and for more experienced practitioners to hone their skills. The first thing we learn is how to make a fist!
Will there be a chance to move up in Belt Ranking?
- Yes! There is belt-grading every Fall semester and every Spring semester. Please see the Belt-Ranking System section to learn more.
Is there a way I can donate money to the club?
- Yes! We humbly accept any donation amount that will help pass on this art form to the next generation!
- Click to Donate