Do I have to be a CSULB student to practice?
- No, all adults are welcome to join us, not just students!
How much are membership fees?
- First semester is FREE and only $25/semester thereafter for students.
That seems like a lot, what do I get for it?
- Membership gives you the chance to train with one of the oldest university karate clubs in the country with a direct lineage to Mr. Ohshima and Shotokan Karate of America (SKA). You also get access to all special practices unless otherwise stated. Lastly, our club dues provide a better value than many martial arts gyms you can find outside. Many places will charge you at least four times that much a month for what we’re giving you for a semester!
How long is a semester?
- 12-15 weeks
When are practices held?
- Please see the Training Schedule section.
Is a Gi (Uniform) necessary?
- Yes, a GI is required. The Gi is mark of a martial artist’s dedication to himself and karate. A basic GI can be found online for as little as $10
Who is the instructor?
- Samir Abboud is our head instructor. Please read more in the Instructors section.
Do I require prior knowledge to join?
- Absolutely not! We begin from basics every semester for newcomers to learn and for more experienced practitioners to hone their skills.
Will there be a chance to move up in Belt Ranking?
- Yes! There is belt-grading every Fall semester and every Spring semester. Please see the Belt-Ranking System section to learn more.
Is there a way I can donate money to the club?
- Yes! We humbly accept any donation amount that will help pass on this art form to the next generation!
- Click to Donate